Sunday, April 8, 2012

Modern Day Culture

Okay, so I'm listening to Y-100. They've got Pitbull on featuring Jennifer Lopez, Rihanna, and all that jazz. I'm not gonna lie, I seriously don't keep up with what's the new trend or who Angelina Jolie adopted this time.. actually I don't even know how many children she has.. Not one, I know.

While I'm listening to the music they play, especially the song called Glad You Came by The Wanted, I'm wondering.. what in the gods name happened to meaningful music? SERIOUSLY. "Hand you another drink.. drink it if you can.." DRINK IT IF YOU CAN?! ARE YOU SERIOUS. Are you for ceral.

Last time I heard, music was a type of art.

Now that I listen to majority of the pop music on the radio today, it's not even defined as art. It's just.. something you dance to. And when I mean dance I mean, fist pumping and jumping around like on freaking Jersey Shore with the Sityation.(Accent intended.)

I remember that when I was in elementary school my music teacher was talking about how different music showed different types of emotions.

For example, Mozart's music collections usually contained of very dramatic..almost like anger or aggression feelings with the loud violin, the drum, the deep yet rapid cello.

Or Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, where it sounded very slow and steady, slightly depressing or makes you wonder about things.

Classical music was probably the first type of art in America, probably brought from the Europeans. Not pop music, but I suppose everything can't stay the same. Luckily there's still some "good" music out there, that has meaningful words instead of a guy offering a girl a drink..which has no real meaning to it, or makes you think. All it makes the girls think is .. yeah. Whenever my friends let me listen to what they're listening to on their iPod, I hear.. again.. Britney Spears or or.. Madonna's new hit. Madonna actually had some good songs though. Nowadays it just sounds very trashy, sounds like any other pop song.

Don't get me wrong I do like pop music-- with a nice beat and meaningful lyrics. Sometimes I listen to pop music with just a nice beat, but that's not even half of the pop culture.
This goes for the same when it comes to television. Jersey Shore for example is just hilarious to watch these little girls and boys hitting on each other and having "drama". You know what I call this? Freaking entertainment! ;D

I'm the type of person to shun popular tv programs, like Pretty Little Liars or the Vampire Diaries. It's just.. ehhhh.. I guess it gets kind of annoying, you know what I mean?
There's nothing wrong liking pop music, or the new popular tv show.
I'm just wondering what happened to the past, or what happened to true music with actual meanings that showed feelings, or something that would be considered as art in categories. Art is a beautiful thing, it inspires others and it influences as well. Art is what helped shape our culture and society, to tell what the difference is of what is pretty or ugly, It's had a long history and has been beautiful since ancient times.

What in the world happened to it? I don't even know. American culture has evolved since day one, but I wish it was one of those cultures where it would just be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment